30/1/10
In general a very quiet week. The electricity stayed off for all but seven out of 73 hours, but by cooking up the meat in one pressure cooker and the chicken in the other and leaving them sealed in there and by floating everything else from the fridge in a water barrel I managed not to lose anything except a pint of milk. It was a close thing though; the ham wouldn't have survived much longer and I was on the point of coating the cheese in wax. Good that the small dry season has arrived and the storms are fewer - therefore fewer risks of major power cuts.
Work has been quiet; Therese didn't come till Thurs. and I haven't found many people to test the Good Samaritan draft with. - Should be doing it now but the person I'd arranged with to take me to visit her neighbours wasn't home when I arrived, even though it was only yesterday afternoon that we'd made the arrangement. Not that I lack work, there are plenty of other aspects keeping me occupied.
A second cock died on Sunday. He was already ill when I came back from Franceville and didn't get better even with some antibiotics - how do you work out how much to give a chicken?! I don't know what it is with the guys. The hen seems perfectly happy and healthy in the same coop and the cocks get sick and die! So I disinfected the whole coop before acquiring another cock, but if this carries on I may just give up on the whole enterprise and simply reduce my egg consumption!
No comments:
Post a Comment