Saturday, 9 February 2013

Yesterday (Friday) gave a chance for an enjoyable long run over mixed terrain (well, almost all off-road but not all fell/moor). Admittedly the first 4-5 miles are not the most exciting being along the Bury-Bolton canal tow path, but the canal does run through fields for much of that section and I did see a grey heron (fifth this week, so there's obviously more life than you'd think in the old canal). After that came a few muddy miles along the bank of the river Irwell as far as Summerseat. From there I left the river and cut through the woods to Roundhey, scrambling over rather than hurdling the fallen tree blocking the path. Then it's a steepish climb past Peel tower and onto the moor. There was still plenty of patches of accumulated snow up there, but not enough to be an impediment. Quite icy at times too, but thin ice, the kind which, when you stand/run on it, cracks and you go through (and get wet feet!) rather than the thick stuff you slip on. However, the ground was generally frozen enough at a deeper level that I mostly sank less than ankle-deep into the bogs rather than knee-deep. It was a good day to be out, not as sunny as forecast but the clouds were high and light and it was a bright day with distant views. The wind on the tops, though not strong, was cutting and even with two pairs of gloves my hands were cold up there! Navigation going north or west off Bull hill is always a bit of a challenge as the landscape is so featureless. I usually do it off a compass bearing but it's been a while since I was up there and I couldn't remember the relevant bearing and didn't want to stop in the biting wind to get my map out. Instead I simply headed south of a long-abandoned Landrover decaying on the moorside – a real eyesore but a useful waymarker! Off the moor and a short road section down through Crowthorn heading towards Entwistle. However, when I got to the bridge over Wayoh reservoir I spotted the footpath leading off up the NE edge of the reservoir. I'd never used it before, though often thought I should. It offered the prospect of exchanging a mile of road running for wooded track. Again I didn't bother to get the map out, just hoped it would bring me out where I thought it would. As expected the path bent round the north of the reservoir but then, having crossed the two streams that feed the reservoir, the path splits. I took a guess that the left-hand one is the one I needed. Turns out it was the right – at least to come out near the Strawberry Duck. But making wrong guesses is how you discover new routes (well one way). I climbed through a field or two and ran along some tracks realising I was now probably north of Entwistle reservoir (which I had intended running round the edge of) but soon enough I found a footpath leading back down to it. I'd probably added close to a mile onto the intended route, but didnt care on such a nice day. The reservoir was full to the brink but very still and calm. I should have stopped to take a photo but for some reason didn't. Next time maybe. I passed lots of people out for a walk at this lower level. It's an easy run along the wide, flat path round the reservoir before the climb from the other side onto Turton Heights. Not as much snow on this moor (it's lower) but the ground was still quite frozen below the muddy surface. It's only a small section of moor and I was soon dropping back down, skirting the edge of a golf course and dropping to the edge of Jumbles reservoir. From there it's a seven mile trot along another river bank, sometimes wooded, through a park and along the tow path to home and a well earned pint – of milk!

1 comment:

Steve said...

Next time, I'm going to need a map! This verbal description of lefts and rights and hidden paths... geesh!

Keep up the running Pauline! Bon courage!

Love, Alace and Steve