Saturday, 23 February 2013

Flower Scar

Light snow heralded the start of today's Flower Scar fell race and accompanied us pretty much all the way round, without becoming serious. In fact, in many ways conditions were ideal – far better than the forecast, which had been for heavy snow and very poor visibility. It was the prospect of the latter that made me groan slightly. If you're running a new race in an area you don't know, perhaps with a small field, poor visibility can add an unwelcome extra challenge – a small field can easily get stretched and in poor visibility you loose sight of those in front meaning either you risk taking a wrong turn or you have to stop to consult map and compass. However, visibility was fine, it was cold but with virtually no wind and though there was one downhill section still covered with snow and ice from the last snowfall which was not fun, mostly the ground was adequately frozen to mean no deep bogs, without been too slippery.

I set off moderately hard since I knew from the map there was a steep (as in 1:4 (500ft climb in 2/3 mile)) slope not long after the start and I didn't want to get stuck behind a crowd of people walking it. However, lots of people must have had the same idea so I was only partially successful (this was no small field – 240 hardy souls took on the challenge – so the paths were pretty congested for the first mile or two). If you had time to look, I think it's a nice climb through pleasant woodland but I didn't see much other than the legs and feet of the people in front! 3/4 mile in a there's a slight dip before a more gradual climb out across the moor on a variety of narrow paths before turning off the a trod for the final, steeper (1:5) climb to the top of Flower Scar hill. Then the choice: everyone immediately ahead of me was heading off NW, directly towards CP4, others further ahead were on a decent track running W. I remembered from the map this was longer but easier running, a temtpting alternative – except at some point you had to take a right and it was by no means certain that I'd be able to find that turn and those taking that route were already 150yds clear. Too risky, I stuck with those immediately around me (a decision which was probably wise as I heard of quite a few who had gone wrong and this was probably the only place where that was likely) After that, even the trod seemed to disappear and we were dancing over tussocks – at least someone passing me thought there was some resemblance between our movements and a highland dance. He wasn't the only one to pass me; for some reason I had even more trouble than usual running at speed on the rough ground and I lost a lot of places, especially when the downhill got steeper. Then we hit the woods and what would have been an easier track, but that was also the icy section and my shoes were probably the worst possible for ice – that and the fact I'm such a wimp lost me a few more places. Thankfully, the terrain then got easier and I held my own then gained a few places on a gradual climb and held position on the narrow, muddy path on the flat(ish) section. I lost a place or two as the next descent began over rough ground, then we hit the crazy bit; suddenly the ground was dropping away insanely (more than 1:3). But the ground was covered in some sort of soft, springy vegetation and even I managed to bound across it with moderate speed (and it was only for a few yards), then back onto wider paths to continue the descent into the valley at a more controllable rate. But the fun wasn't over yet. Being a woodland path along the valley floor didn't mean there was no more climbing – a nice little 140ft slope awaited. Good for me as I retook several of the places I'd lost on the descents. Then immediately back down those 140ft! I lost a place or two but held on reasonably. 
Then the real sting in the tail: another 1:4 climb, this time including steps (the joys of managed footpaths). It was hard work but I took several more places. The gradient eased through the last farm and along a track then we swung left and were into the final descent – back down that initial steep hill. Now I was running scared, trying to maintain momentum and not think about slipping, tripping or twisting an ankle, I was certain many of the people I'd passed on the climbs were about to whizz past again. However, that last hill must have taken more out of them than me as only one person passed me on the whole mile long descent. Phew. A great race. 6.5 miles (on the lines I took), 1,800 ft ascent. 130th out of 240, 8th lady of 42, 3rd V40 of 14.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Way to go Pauline!!! Congrats! I think there may be a "Fell" race in Franceville soon... better get over here and register!