One of the few advantages of our very sandy soil is that it's easy to dig the holes to plant the poles in!
With the poles in place we started to run the cable over the tops and through the trees. A relatively easy task as long as you have someone who can climb any tree needed! Thankfully here lots of people can and we gradually acquired a small group of lads only too happy to assist with that part of the task. However, the clouds had been gathering and the thunder rumbling for an hour or two and as we finished laying the second roll of cable (i.e. 200 meters in) the wind suddenly picked up ferociously and the rain lashed down mercilessly. Undaunted we pressed on, and were soaked to the skin in seconds! (don't worry, I hadn't actually connected the cable to the meter yet!). Several trees, a pole and a roll (100 meters) of cable later, shivering and jumping around to keep warm even though the rain had slackened, we.... ran out of cable! Just the distance across my garden to go, so tantalisingly close! However, it was already mid-afternoon and there wasn't much hope of me hunting down any more cable in time to lay it that day so I thanked my friends and they went home. After drying off I did discover a 13 meter length of cable in my tool room, but I was fairly sure it was not sufficient and anyway I didn't feel like a second drenching on the same day. Thankfully, the next afternoon I was surprisingly able to buy the 20 metres I needed in a small shop in Léconi and I finally made the connection. Now I am enjoying the pleasures of more and brighter lights, a fridge which not only supplies cool drinking water but ke
eps leftovers fresh without having to re-heat them in a pressure cooker every day, a desk-top computer so my language helper can enter her own texts and the relief of being able to make bread in just five minutes! (ok. it still takes the bread a couple of hours to be kneaded and baked, but I only have to spend five minutes putting the ingredients in the pan and the machine does the rest – unless there's a blip in the supply of course) {26/3/09 or the drive belt breaks! Just spent an hour taking the machine apart to find out why it stopped working. Why don't manufacturers make it easy to get to areas where they know a part may need replacing and even tell you how to do the replacement and the part number. Here's hoping I can find a similar belt in Franceville this weekend} and many other conveniences that mains electricity brings. The question now is how many people I share this convenience with – already three neighbours have asked if they can tap into my line!
Thank you again to those of you who prayed specifically for this.
No comments:
Post a Comment